Progress Report: Weeks of May 13th – May 25th

Reading rainbow

I found a poster

This update will include the last two weeks, since my odd new schedule made putting together something last Sunday impractical.  I finished four new models in the last couple of weeks in my attempts to burn a path through the long list of requests from co-workers.  I have reached a point at which I can finish one per night, which is good.  They each take 4-6 hours each, so it makes sense that I could finish one in a night, but actually sitting and working for 4-6 straight hours on what amounts to speed painting a model is a new pursuit.  More pics below.

reader

Read this for me

Cloak and staff

Cloak and staff

Mr. Wizard here was a different sort of challenge and actually took much longer than some of the others.  The broad, flat surfaces on the cloak, robes, and hat required all detail to be hand done, rather than my being able to rely on a wash or glaze to quickly shade small details.  I am maybe 62% happy with the results, though as with all of these plastic figures I did eventually cut off my time spent.  The little wording on the scroll was fun.

shootist

Gun grrl

shoot

Gun grrl

Now for a complete change of pace is this quite well armed lady.  I tried to keep a very limited palette while still making every element interesting and discernible.  The faces on a lot of these plastic models are all smooshed, and this figure was no exception.  I had to draw in the eyes and mouth to make it look like she had eyes and a mouth, and even still looking at her face straight on isn’t pleasant.  I work with what I’m given.

Slayed

Slayed

Slayed

Slayed

Slayed

Slayed

Slayed

Slayed

The dragon head was fun to work on.  The face was actually quite detailed, so I was able to make the features stand out and look decent.  It’s very hard to tell in static images, but for this figure I tried out some iridescent medium mixed into the colors used on the cloak.  It gives a bit of a sparkle with the model is moved around.  I think this medium would look better on a large surface, but I wanted to try it out.  Overall for this model I am very very unhappy with the color selections.  The blue of the cloak and the green of the pants just hate each other so much.  If the mold lines weren’t so hideous I’d be tempted to go back and clean it up.

Steampunk Witch

Steampunk Witch

Steampunk Witch

Steampunk Witch

Steampunk Witch

Steampunk Witch

Steampunk witch, I guess?  I just finished her tonight.  Started her when I got home around 2a.m., finished the base at around 7:30a.m.  She has some interesting detail, which I just could not figure out until I started filling in areas with color.  The left hand is metal, she has some kind of under-dress, her broom has this kind of revolver chamber, and I didn’t even notice that her “bangs” were actually goggles until I started painting them and noticed they were a bit too perfectly round.  She has a neat face with well-defined eye sockets, though her cute little button nose did not survive the molding process and is thus simply a mangled stump.  I tried.  I really did.

For this coming week, I have still more figures to go.  Presently there are 11 more models to go before I am done with my office requests.  I have another set of six prepped and primed in my Queue Box.  Among the next four, two will be simple(like the uzi girl) and two are going to be extremely detailed nightmares.  They should be fun!

I might also be picking up an apprentice of sorts this week, a canvas-painter I know that also picked up the Reaper Bones Kickstarter who wishes to be instructed in the dark arts.  I don’t know how I will organize thoughts to actually show someone how to do what I do, but it’s worth a try.  Between that and my RPG session this coming Friday I might not get many models complete.  No rush.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *