Progress Report: Week of June 2nd – June 8th

warrior wizard

warrior wizard

I finished another three this week, making it rather productive.  Two of them were quite detailed and involved a lot of fun detail, while one was very large.  The above elf-wizard-swordlady was one of the ones that involved a lot of detail. I worked really hard on this one, as it was a make-up for failing to do another.  The one originally requested by a co-worker was simply too mangled by the plastic molding process for me to be able to decipher where particular detail ended and new parts began, so I had to give up on it and request a new one.  That second one ended up being more naked than the coworker could see from the large group shot, so she just told me to pick one that I’d like to paint.  I found the above model, as I thought it fit with the previous selections.  As always, more info in the full post.

swordlady mage

swordlady mage

swordlady mage

swordlady mage

This is a nice model, as it has fine detail but everything is clearly separated into different elements.  I think that the color choices I made ended up working out.  I tried to get into all the very minute detail, like painting the runes on the scabbard gold and giving the sword several glazes of a very thinned down bright green to make it look like its runes were glowing.

Bone wizard dude

Bone wizard dude

Bone wizard dude

Bone wizard dude – spellbook detail shot

Bone wizard dude

Bone wizard dude

Bone wizard dude

Bone wizard dude

This guy had some nice detail as well.  I tried to do a muted color scheme with just a few elements that popped due to more vibrant color contrast.  I liked working on weathering and designing the little pages in his book, and I went for a gradual blend from brown to green for the staff-to-snake thing going on there.

Griffs

Griffs

Griffs

Griffs

Griffs

Griffs

Griffs

Griffs

Griffs - With sword-mage for scale

Griffs – With sword-mage for scale

This griffon was requested by the owner of the company.  This was fortunately the only large model requested, as I made a note in my original request about avoiding some of the other huge models.  It was a lot different painting this due to its size, as I had to rely more on washes and drybrushing to avoid having it take several dozen hours.  I was going to go with dark brown feathers at first, but my wife convinced me to try a deep blue instead.  I think the contrast turned out well as a result.  I added a pic with the elf lady just to show much much larger it was than the normal scale of these.  Each of its wings were about 3″ long, and it was about 3″ long from the tip of the beak to the curve of the tail.  Even though 3″ is really quite small, for my work it was dauntingly immense.

Mr. Griffon brings my completed model count up to twelve for these office requests.  I have eight more to go, so I’m at least over halfway done, but that’s still plenty left.  While I don’t know how many I’ll get done in the coming week, in the near future are an elf ranger, a busty pirate, and a dark knight in full plate.  Still quite the variety.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *